If you're just joining us, this is a series on managing your closet so you can get the most out of your clothes. New articles out each Monday!
So now that you've cleaned out your closet, played dress up, and hopefully figured out how you'd like to fill in the gaps. But if you're a little bit stuck on what you need to make your closet work, here's my ultimate list of must haves: clothes, shoes, and accessories.
- A neutral cardigan. This one item will make everything you wear in summer able to be worn in the winter. It's like magic. Get one. Or two.
- A jersey skirt. I would say one knee length and one maxi, but only because once you have one, you will never, ever want to take it off.
- A button down that fits you. I won't say it has to be white. Mine's navy blue from J. Crew.
- A date dress. Cause you never know.
- A casual dress. Extra points if it's jersey.
- A black dress. Cliche, but it's true. When you're not sure how dressy to go, you can always wear this. Except maybe not to a summer wedding. Definitely find something else for that.
- A warm, cute coat. Because it's both warm and cute. There you go.
- Black, nude, and colored tights. Again with the magical making-summer-clothes-winter-worthy. You can't beat that.
- Leggings. Because it's like wearing pajamas, but you look dressed up. Only don't wear them alone as pants or I'll have to hunt you down.
- Heels that you can wear all day. Wedges are great for this, but a lot of them aren't exactly work appropriate. You'll probably have to splurge on this, but it will be so very worth it.
- Dressy flats. Your feet will thank you at the end of some award ceremony, formal dinner, or night at the club. Promise.
- Flat boots. So necessary in so many outfits.
- A HUGE carry-all. To use as a personal item on airplanes and to pack for overnights. Or just to fill up at the library.
- A clutch. I know it's called a clutch, but get one with a wrist strap or shoulder strap. Then you can still dance with it if everyone's on the dance floor, and security is a worry.
- A scarf. Warm, statement, woven, or wooly, just find something that you like and that you will wear.
- A belt that defines your natural waist. To wear with dresses and tunics.
- A belt that sits well on your hips. To wear with pants, or tunics as well.
- A signature piece of jewelry. I like earrings, but they're not for everyone. Find your own signature piece.