Friday, February 15, 2013

craft fair-ology: tell your story

8368512562_2ba772621d_z

If you're just joining me, this is "Craft Fair-ology," my regular feature on helpful tips and hints for selling handmade goods at craft fairs.

But wait, you don't have to be a craft vendor to learn something useful! I will be mentioning how to apply these tips and techinques for display and storage to other aspects of your life as well... truly win-win! 

aboutstory

One thing I always bring with me to craft selling venues, no matter how big or small, is my "About" story. A big part of the reason people like to buy hand crafted goods is that they get to see who made it, where it came from, and know the story behind it. Often, though, it can seem pushy for a crafter to launch into their back story the moment a new customer walks by. This sign is my why of opening the door to more conversation with my buyers about what I make and why.  

A lot of people don't see it, a lot don't read it, but those that do often want to talk more about my business, my art, and my goals. Sometimes they want to buy something because they realize the commitment involved in my business.

You know how important it is to have an "About" page on a blog, for your Etsy store, and other web pages, so why should selling in person be any different? Think about what makes you different and help your customers to know why your business matters. It can make all the difference.

aboutstory2

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...